Home › Forums › General Discussions › Does anyone have a picture of their Dickerson 37 rudder area?
- This topic is empty.
June 1, 2017 at 7:07 pm #366SienaParticipant
Had a bit of a whoops with Siena on the way down to a race.
I'm currently hauled out at Burr Bros in Marion, MA and the yard is looking for pictures that my rudder (damaged) is original.
I feel terrible about doing this to Siena, want to get her fixed up proper. The good news (if there is any) is that the wood in the skeg was totally rotten and wasn't doing much anyways.
PeterJuly 9, 2017 at 2:46 am #1210Fleet CaptainKeymaster
Not exactly sure what you need here. I do know that Ken B. had a replacement rudder fabricated for D37 “Morning Light”. Would a connection there assist?July 22, 2017 at 4:58 pm #1211
Just a FYI, I provided Peter with a copy of the original rudder, etc. drawings a couple of weeks ago.
Al Sampson/WanderlustAugust 4, 2017 at 11:29 pm #1212
It will be nice to know when the repairs are complete!
Al Sampson/WanderlustFebruary 10, 2018 at 11:06 pm #1213SienaParticipant
Sorry about lack of response.
Boat was finished in August by Burr Bros. They did a great job although it seemed to take forever.
One thing we discovered was the rudder was not symmetrical. I can't imagine this was designed this way and have to think it may have been refaired at some point. I had noticed this while bottom painting but didn't give it much thought. Burr sent off my rudder to a company in florida I think Foss Foam? They made the new one and did a good job.
The other major damage:
Quadrant was snapped, they had to cut an access panel in cockpit. But they made it removable with cleats and lightly caulked it back down in case I need to access
Rudder bearings were replaced (whew)
New skeg fabricated by Burr
New cables, and binnacle refastened
Tabbing that was broken loose was redone
Bilge sump was a poor design. Any water that leaked down through holes from bilge pumps had soaked the foam in keel. They cut back keel and excavated the black rotten foam. Keel fiberglass was very stout, probably 1″ thick. This was redone.
The bilge sump I had them redesign with a tray that was glassed in after new foam poured in cavity. I had them attach mounting pads for bilge pumps and switches so that there would be no screw holes down into foam. I guess at some point water will find it's way in there but trying to keep at bay as long as possible.
Can't seem to find any progress pics from visiting the yard but thought they did a great job.March 10, 2018 at 1:44 pm #1214
Yes, I have photos.
Call ma at 401.727.1555 or e-mail email@example.com
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.