DICKERSON RENDEZVOUS EXPERIENCES

Home Forums Events DICKERSON RENDEZVOUS EXPERIENCES

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Irish Mist
    Keymaster

Can you believe it? In 2009 this classic group will hold it’s 42nd Rendezvous in Oxford on June 19-20. (See Home Page)

Lets share some comments on these historic get togethers. My first Rendezvous was in 1983 about a year after I purchased my wooden 35 ft Ketch. I recall Hank Dodson and his late wife were Secretary and the Friday night reception was at the Dickerson Boat Yard in Trappe. The bar at that time featured Scotch, Gin and Burbon with some beer, wine and Coke on the side. We had as many as 25 boats racing on Saturday morning using roughly the same courses we use now–with one big exception. In a South West wind we would sail on a port tack reach across the bay to a white shoal marker on the far shore round it to port and and tack into the SW wind to the red channel markers we use now. (This white marker is no longer there–but Dick how about an Orange buoy anchored Mark so we have a beat) Races were very competative and David and Mary Ann Hazen’s 35 Ketch Ynot used to win most of the races.

The Saturday Awards dinner was usually held on the “Estate” of one of the Dickerson Owners and a traditional Cookout with corn on the Cob, chicken and hamburgers and crab cakes and desert. In later years with the Boat yard changing hands and cook outs getting hard to get we were fortunate to be able to–throught the gracious help of long time membet Jim Karr–be able to have the Awards Dinner at the Tred Avon Yacht Club.This is a classy sit down dinner with white table cloth and bar. Also dockage is available at Tred Avon. The Reception on Friday night at Mears Marina is great because we can dock there, use their excellent facillities–including a refreshing swimming pool. This certainly is attractive to the grandchildren and to all of us in mid June weather.

The most memorable moments about these Rendezvous is the people, the stories and still the facinating boats and what owners have done to them over the years. Thats why after 41 years it’s such a magic event. I only missed one in 25 years and that was for my 50th wedding anniversary.

Let’s have your thoughts.

Joe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Dickerson Owner's Association. Copyright 2020. All Rights Reserved