need D36 engine advice

Home Forums General Discussions need D36 engine advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    bugbitten
    Participant

I’ll post specifics as things fall into place. It was a Cal 40, not Catalina 40, owner he’s talked to. Here’s a link to his story.

Cal 40, Aurora Electric Yacht Conversion!

rberry43
    Participant

Several years ago my Westerbeke 4.107 broke the crank shaft. I was able to repair it my self.

What I did was contact a local college that had a diesel overhaul class. The students worked on various engins the college had in the shop. The instructor had no problems with my bringing in my own and rebuilding it during the semester. I had a great sense of accomplishment when it started back in the boat.

If you are at all mechanically inclined this is a very inexpensive way to go.

bugbitten
    Participant

Thanks for that idea. I can’t say it had crossed our minds before you mentioned it.

The owner has ordered the electric motor kit, and is picking up eight, six-volt batteries shortly. He and another pal of ours hauled out the old Westerbeke last weekend and has begun the preparation for the conversion. I think he’s got a line on a larger prop that’s a better match to the electric motor’s output. He is determined to keep the compartment as original as possible so that he can put it back to diesel power without too much work, if that becomes desirable.

I’ll keep you posted as the work progresses.

John

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Dickerson Owner's Association. Copyright 2020. All Rights Reserved